The Web Poetry Corner
The Web Poetry Corner
Rules for Poets
We are publishers not critics. If you wish to chat with someone about your poetry, join a chat group or news group dedicated to that purpose. We will NOT pass along any email that we get pertaining to your published poems and WE will NOT give you a critical evaluation of your work. We list the author's email address on his or her pages, so we will not forward email to authors. If the author's email address is listed as firstname.lastname@example.org (our webmaster's email address), that means it is out of date and we do not know what, if any, is the new address.
If you wish to submit poetry for inclusion in these pages, there is a hyperlink at the bottom of this page which will take you to our form for submitting poetry. If your poem is accepted for inclusion, we will add the HTML (hypertext) markup and links. You just format it more or less the way you want it to look, but do NOT send word processor files. Make sure your poem is in text-only form. Also, do NOT send files in ALL CAPS. Remember that the way the finished product will look depends on the viewer one uses, but we will try to make it look as close to your original as possible. If you are writing in a language that requires a special font viewer, please include a reference to the necessary set of fonts. Absolutely no poetry will be published without the name (it doesn't have to be real), email address (which MUST be real) and the location (city, state and country only, no street addresses please). Here is a summary of our rules.
The WPC will charge a small sum of money for post-submission changes. This includes the editing of poems, the changes to email or user names, even the removal of one or all poems. The submission and posting of new poems will remain free of charge. A flat fee of $5 US for each post submission request will be charged. You can make this payment, if you so choose...you can leave what you have already submitted as it is...must be made to PayPal, an online "bank." Once PayPal has notified us of the deposit, your requested changes will be immediately made.
- PLEASE! Only ONE poem per submission!
- ALL CAPS POEMS MAY NOT BE ACCEPTED. The meaning of ALL CAPS on the Internet is generally taken to be SHOUTING or EXTREME EMPHASIS. Few poems meet this criterion. Thus, don't put your titles in ALL CAPS, either, unless you absolutely MEAN it to be a SHOUTING TITLE.
- Do NOT put the title of the poem in the area reserved for the body of the poem. Also, don't put your name, a copyright notice, an advertisement, your résumé or ANY OTHER EXTRANEOUS material there either...just the poem itself.
- Do NOT explain your poem or put a date on it. We believe that poetry should be timeless and speak for itself and not require explanation. Exceptions will be made in special cases, but rarely.
- The elipsis ("..."), or "three dot" punctuation, denotes a pause, an omission of a word or a phrase, or a continuation. USE IT PROPERLY. Do not make it four dots or five dots or any other variation of three simple periods.
- Check your spelling very carefully. We will assume that ALL misspellings are deliberate and will not ordinarily correct them. An exception is a typo like writing "nopt" for "not," but DO NOT COUNT ON US to detect and correct even such obvious errors.
- If your poem is submitted in a language requiring accents (e.g. French), make sure that your submission has the proper characters.
- You MUST include your NAME and LOCATION with EACH AND EVERY submission. Remember, we have to keep you straight and there are thousands of others in The Web Poetry Corner besides you. After your first poem has been accepted, a form with all the required name/location information will be on your home page. Use THAT form for all subsequent submissions, as it will keep you from making typing mistakes.
- Do NOT use single word pseudonyms for your name, like "Bill" or "Maria," which are common names. If you must write under a pseudonym, choose one that will set you apart from ALL others.
- If you wish to link to your own Web site from our pages, please submit a banner and the URL of your site and we will place it at the top of your poetry page. In addition, if your site is itself a poetry site, we will feature it in our Friends of Poetry page. Do this in a separate email. Do NOT include it in the body of the poem.
- We will publish a single graphic on your home poetry page. You must, however, submit this grahic (picture, logo, whatever) in computer readable format. Many "instant copy" stores have the necessary equipment to scan photos into computer formats.
- ABSOLUTELY NO POEMS WILL BE PUBLISHED WITHOUT A VALID EMAIL ADDRESS...valid at least at the time of publication! You should receive a copy of each poem submitted at that email address.
If you already have a PayPal account, you can simply login to that account and send us the funds using the "Send Money" tab. Use the email address, email@example.com, to direct the funds to our account. If you do not yet have a PayPal account, you can open one by clicking on the icon on the left below.
Understand that by submitting poetry you are agreeing to abide by our rules.
To submit your poetry, click here.
If you have comments or suggestions for the Web Poetry Corner, you can contact us at:
firstname.lastname@example.org (Willy Chaplin)
...the best independent ISP in the Twin Cities