Publicity can take many forms. The bottom line is "getting the word out."
What we want to happen is that offline media take notice of our efforts and report on what we are doing. The more this happens, the quicker we will reach our goal of getting Oprah to run and to win.
Of course, these are just suggestions. We urge you to use your own imagination and ingenuity to find other methods. If you come up with a good one, make sure you tell us about it so we can spread the word among our other volunteers.
- Newspapers: Writing letters to the editor of your local newspaper is one of the better ways to get the attention of the public. If you have advanced writing skills, you could also try to write a short piece...under 500 words is best...telling just why you think that an Oprah presidency would be a good thing and get that paper to publish it as an opinion piece.
Make sure that you mention that we are collecting volunteers' names to work on the eventual campaign and the URL (www.dreamagic.com/oprah) of the site as well.
Asking the newspaper's book reviewer to review Run, Oprah, Run is another avenue of approach. If he/she consents, Patrick will send her/him a free copy. Or, if you are a good writer, write your own book review and see if you can get it published.
- TV: TV is a tougher medium to break into. Phone calls to the local news anchors might get a mention on the evening (local) news. Often it will take several calls just to get their attention.
Patrick will make himself available for phone interviews...or, if the market is large enough...for personal appearances. Make sure that you double check with us whenever you set up such an interview.
- Gatherings: Making announcements at local events...church gatherings, school meetings, etc....is another good way to attract attention to our cause.
- Specials: Our online Dollars for Oprah campaign is an indirect way of making our efforts known. Here the idea is just to plant the idea of Oprah for President somewhere that everyone occasionally uses, on the back of dollar bills.
Patrick is putting together a Holiday special pricing for the book and t-shirts, since both will make good gifts.
- Bookstores and Libraries: Phoning these book outlets and asking them if they are stocking Patrick's book is not only a good way of nudging them to do so, but it also spreads the word through valuable contacts.
- Novelty Stores: Asking outlets that sell t-shirts if they stock the Oprah '08 t-shirt is also a good advertsing gimmick. Both the book and the t-shirt are "hard copies" to remind people where they can hook up with us.
If you wish to recommend this site to friends, click HERE to get to a page that will make it easy to send a notice to up to ten friends!
Back to home page
This site is hosted by...
...the best independent ISP in the Twin Cities